Dec 10, 2013
The 2013/14 Coldsmoke Awards and Winter Film Tour is set to make its descent into Whistler.
Maurice Young Millennium Place will play host to the first ever Coldsmoke Winter Film Tour stop in Whistler on Saturday, December 14th. Due to the popular response from the Whistler community, a second screening has been announced with the doors opening at 6:30pm and the second show kicking off at 9pm. The legendary Longhorn Saloon at the base of the Whistle & Blackcomb gondolas, will host the after party with beer specials presented by Whistler Brew.
Locals from Whistler and the surrounding areas are encouraged to come and celebrate winter culture through the eyes of talented filmmakers, including Whistler’s own Switchback Entertainment and Sherpas Cinema.
December 14th @6:30pm and 9pm - Maurice Young Millennium Place
$15.00 Cover Charge
Event Details at www.coldsmokeawards.com 'Events' Section
For the past few months, both amateur and professionally produced winter films have been submitted to the Coldsmoke film vault. This year film entries of any length, of any language (with English subtitles) and of any winter genre, such as, snowboarding, skiing, snowmobiling, ice climbing, speedflying, and alpine climbing were among the various films welcomed for submission.
Some of the films that have been selected to screen in Whistler on the evening of December 14th...
• Dreaming - Generations of experience and knowledge are the foundations which todays riders are building on, with technology and equipment compounding their ability to go even further. Ryan Sullivan and Stan Rey put it all together high amongst the glaciers and peaks of British Columbia, finding it is a great time to be alive. This is great short story about dreams becoming reality. | Jamie Tanner & Mike
• Super Mom - An inspiring bio piece of 40-year old former Olympian turned free-skier Wendy Fisher. For over 15 years she has been inspiring skiers, both female and male, to charge hard. Mike Douglas/Jeff Thomas | Switchback Entertainment
• North of the Sun - The tale of two Norwegian Filmmakers Jørn Nyseth Ranum and Inge Wegge pursue the dream of a simpler life and the dream of endless winter surf breaks. | Filmhuset AS
• Shades of Winter - Not only the first all female ski film, but more importantly, this internationally recognized film showcases the very best women freeskiers in the world attacking big lines and wild park features with style and grace. | Sandra Lahnsteiner in association with Beech Studios
• Wrangelled - With 13.2 million acres of breath taking beauty and rugged terrain, The Wrangell St. Elias National Park is a wonderful place to find solace. In this film a small group of skiers choose to spend 2 weeks amongst this raw and sometimes brutal environment. | B4 Après
These featured films, along with 23 additional films are all fighting for the coveted Coldsmoke People’s Choice Award. Event attendees along with all winter enthusiasts, are encouraged to vote for their favorite film on the official website www.coldsmokeawards.com. Every vote is rewarded with an entry to win an exclusive Coldsmoke Winter Adventure with $1,000 cash and Canadian Cat Skiing Trip at Powder Mountain south of Whistler B.C.
Now in its 9th season, the Coldsmoke platform was born out of a mountain community’s desire to showcase its expanding artistic talent and celebrate a culture entrenched in winter. The mission is to cultivate, promote, and broadcast the ideas, imagery, and films flourishing from within and inspired by life spent in the mountains.
Co-Founder and Event Director Brad Van Wert says he and the Coldsmoke team are very excited to bring the Coldsmoke Winter Film Tour to Canada for the first time, and in particular Whistler; one of their favorite mountain destinations. The team is extremely humbled by the positive response they have received from the Whistler community.
"We have always been amazed by the work we receive from great Whistler filmmakers like Switchback Entertainment and Sherpas Cinema. It is an honor for us here at Coldsmoke to be able to bring our presentation to their home turf. Whistler is truly a unique community and it is such a treat to be welcomed here." – Brad Van Wert, Co-Founder & Event Director
Coldsmoke is honored to donate all raffle proceeds to help the Canadian Avalanche Centre. The Centre’s mission is to provide leadership, development, communication, coordination and delivery of public avalanche safety products and services through a collaborative, diverse and multi-level network
Coldsmoke Apparel, Longhorn Saloon and Whistler Brew are proud supporters of the Whistler Coldsmoke Winter Film Tour stop.